Dating Tips for Guys
Posted on May 1, 2014
Ramit Sethi started an interesting discussion on his blog this week about women making more than their spouses. With over 300 comments, this was a very hot topic. This comment from a high earning woman, made me especially sad though. She said that the high earning women she knew fell into one of 3 categories:
1. Perpetually single
2. Married young and have been with their partners for years
3. Met their significant others in graduate school (B-school, Med school), where it is expected that both partners will be high earners
Strong, independent women are a breed of their own. So here are some tips for men who would like to date, and potentially marry this breed of women, without feeling intimidated or taken for granted:
- Ambition is more important than your paycheck: Everything we do, we strive to do to the absolute best of our ability. As long as you’re doing the same, you will continue to be our hero.
- Challenge us- Being competitive is in our blood so challenging us in different areas of life is a great way to keep our attention, especially on things that we have expressed wanting to improve. For example, if your lady talks about wanting to eat healthier, challenge her to a cooking contest and see who can make the best tasting and healthiest dinner that week.
- Be creative- Know her love language(s) and really put some thought into how you can knock her socks off in her language. For a lot of women, it’s not about how expensive the gift is, it’s about the thought behind it and the presentation. A scavenger hunt that leads me to a picnic in the park with you is much more exhilirating than a piece of expensive jewelry – but that’s just me. Like I said, know her love language.
- Don’t let us get away with murder- Maybe murder is a little strong, but often times ambitious women are used to sweet talking, guilting, or bulldozing people to get what they want. If what we want doesn’t sit well with you, then speak up! There’s nothing sexy about a lap dog.
Do you agree or disagree? Have anything to add?