Going Green To Live Longer
Posted on June 4, 2013
If you haven’t seen Chemerical, I HIGHLY recommend it! The documentary (is of course on Netflix) follows a family who is replaces everything in their house that contains toxic chemicals with a ‘green’ alternative. The documentary is kind of cheesy, but it definitely makes you think twice about what’s in the products you eat and breathe regularly.
The quality of the air in your home is far worse than the quality of the air outside, and that all comes down to the chemicals in everything we use to clean ourselves and our home, said Andrew Nisker, director of Chemerical.
This has inspired me to find toxic-free alternatives to these products in my life – also follow my Organic Pinterest board!
- “Shampoo” (1-2 times/week) I originally tried this recipe to remove product buildup, but it made my hair feel so amazing that I use this every time I wash my hair. It works so well, I only have to wash it 1-2 times a week.
- Homemade Soap Recipe or Buy Natural Soap
- Face Wash
- Mouth Wash and other breath fresheners
- Rosehip oil for scars or stretch marks
- Face Lotion or this one for dry skin
- Deoderant or spray
- Dark Spot Removal
Toxic-Free Cleaning Supplies (a lot of Norwex):
- Glass Cleaner
- All-Purpose Cleaner
- Toilet Cleaner
- Air Freshener
- Laundry Detergent
- Dryer Sheets
- Get Rid of Ants
- Flu Symptoms – apple cider vinegar
- Cold/Flu Symptoms Wellness Shot
- Sore Throat: cough syrup, maybe freeze cough syrup to make cough drops?
- Stomach Aches
- Urinary Tract/Bladder Infections – on slide 17
- Remove warts – on slide 20
- Insomnia- Tim Ferriss, author of 4 Hour Work Week, says that reading fiction for 15 minutes right before bed is just as good as most sleeping pills. Since I’ve started doing this I’ve been able to fall asleep much faster too.
- Morning Sickness
- Tons of natural ways to treat PMS, including things to eat and avoid
- Neosporin replacement – Terri Jacke says Silver Gel is to her what Windex is to the dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
* I have not found and tried recipes or solutions for all of these products yet, but will put links to my critiques as I try each product and will update links as I find toxic-free alternatives.